PDANet tethering app removed from some Android Markets - how to get it anyway

When I upgraded from the original Droid A855 to the HTC Thunderbolt 4G (review here), I gave my daughter my old device. Since I had reluctantly switched from Blackberry to Android, I assured her that once she adjusted to the change from BB she'd never look back. In order to properly activate it with her number, it was recommended that the phone be reset to factory defaults. Even though I wanted to leave a few of the apps on there that I thought she'd like, no big deal, we could just go to market and download the apps again.

One of the first apps I wanted her to have was PDANet. PDANet allows you to connect your Android device to your laptop via a USB cable, and connect to the Internet through your Droid (or iPhone, Blackberry, Palm, etc.). I went to the Android Market to download it for her and it had disappeared. Apparently some carriers have removed it from the Market because they want you to grossly overpay for a service that should be included in your already overpriced equipment and data plan. But fear not, where there's a will there's a way.

One of the apps (really just a message) that came up in the Market after searching for "PDANet" was from the good people at June Fabrics (the creators of PDANet) explaining that you can still get the app, but after 3.5 million downloads and a 4.5+ rating, some carriers have blocked it in the Market.

There are a number of ways that you can still get the app:

One, download it on your computer from JuneFabrics.com and transfer it to your Droid. Another method (which I have not tested) is to put your phone in airpland mode, enable wifi and then try to search in the Market. Supposedly, it will be back and downloadable (because you are no longer on your carrier's data plan).

So, PDANet still works exactly as explained here, but you just may have to work a little harder to get the app.

And don't forget to follow Hooked On Droid on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. It's still in the Android Market, but some carriers block it. If you switch to airplane mode and use wifi it will magically appear. Or just download on your computer.

    ReplyDelete