Use your Android Device as a Remote - Gmote App pretty damned cool!




Not long ago, my really cool five DVD player unit bit the dust. Finally, one of the DVDs got jammed in the revolving tray and I couldn't shake it out.

This DVD player was a gift and I never quite got the concept of a player that could hold five DVDs to choose from. I could never remember what DVDs were in it and didn't know if someone else took one of my DVDs out and put in one of their own. So, whenever I wanted to watch a DVD I'd have to go over to the unit and open it up to see if the movie I wanted to watch was even in a tray, and if so which tray was it in. Then, I had to again figure out how to rotate the trays so that the one I wanted was in the position to be played next. Usually, I got it wrong and the Pilates video would start with some woman threatening me with physical torment.

Now that I think of it, I'm surprised this DVD player didn't break a long time ago...FROM ME THROWING IT AGAINST THE WALL.

Of course, just after the player broke, my wife wanted to watch a movie. No big deal. I'll just hook up my laptop to the TV and play the DVD through that. Oh crap! That means that every time I want to pause, rewind or stop the movie, I have to get up from the couch and walk over to the computer to execute the command.

Not so fast there, buddy boy. Before hooking up the computer to the TV I went to Google and searched: "using droid as remote."

Yay! Gmote! An app that actually works was a remote for my computer.

So, I downloaded the app to my droid and the server to my laptop and gave it a shot.

It works exactly as promised. It's not a fancy app by any means. It does nothing more than allow you to locate DVDs or music and play, pause, fast forward, control volume, etc. But it worked very well and was easy to install and get running in a matter of minutes.

I was hoping that it would actually work as a mouse for my computer, but nope. Hey wait...I'll search for a droid app that works as a mouse. Hey, there's one...oh and another.

To be continued...

Please check out some of my other sites...just for laughs.

Interactive Lunacy
Cell Phone Reality TV
Click On Comedy
Joking Smoker Cigar Blog
The Dirty Joke Show

1 comment:

  1. I am a big fan of Gmote, and use the app everyday. I am sad that I can’t stream outside of my WIFI network though. I am a DISH Network subscriber/employee, and I use their Remote Access app to stream live TV, on demand content, and DVR recordings remotely. It is definitely a must have app!

    ReplyDelete