Hey Google and Facebook: If it ain't broke....

Why do Facebook and Google feel compelled to change the user interfaces on their services? Improvements are one thing, but just making it more convoluted and cumbersome doesn't do anything to increase the loyalty of those who got them where they are today. I believe they are just trying to justify their huge staffs by having them create new and "improved" methods of doing what is already being done without any overwhelming negative issues.

The annoying Facebook changes wouldn't be so bad if they didn't do it so often. This latest (not so much of an) improvement caused me to finally look into the Google+ alternative. I actually like it for its simplicity, but when I broadcast my profound thoughts it's only reaching a handful of people. Obviously, they have a lot of catching up to do.

And Google. WTF? I downloaded the Internet Explorer 9 and watched my whole online life go to hell. I couldn't copy and paste the body of an email because it wouldn't retain the formatting (even though it looked okay on my end, the recipient got a very unprofessional-looking email with no spacing between paragraphs and other issues). When I attempted to log into third-party cloud sites the UI from the site just didn't work at all.

And don't get me started about Google's Adsense product. I used to be able to log into Adsense (either on my Android phone or desktop) and quickly see how many visitors I had to each channel and how many ad clicks for each of those channels. Now, I have to jump through lots of hoops to find that same info. And there are some reports that I still can't find and I think I've clicked every annoying combination available to me.

I know that the present is so cool because the brilliant people involved with these companies had a vision for the future in the past, but can't they continue to search for the next great thing without shoving it in our faces and making us try to adapt to their new unproven vision?

I swear to god, if Google and Facebook make any more changes I'm going to...ummmm....learn to live with it.

1 comment: